So many media! What’s a person to do? Who is going to read your news release? How do you close the deal?
Target your media carefully, based the following criteria:
1. What are you trying to achieve with the media? Most people can benefit from feature stories, interviews, and products reviews, in that order. Some people want incoming links along with the content that drives SEO. What do you want?
2. Who can do that for you? Identify the right people by keyword and geography, by beat and area of authority or responsibility.
3. Can you supply them with the content or people they need to do their job directly? Can you send it to them electronically? Can you deliver it by mail? In person? Do they need to send a camera crew? Your chances for success go up if the delivery is fast and if the cost they incur is low. The slower the delivery and the higher the costs, the less likely you are to succeed in doing at needs to be one to get real media coverage.
4. How effectively can you reach them to engage in a meaningful communication about your proposal? Can you reach them directly by email and phone? By fax? By street mail? Only by appointment? Are they well protected by secretaries or administrative assistants? Are you using an online a post and pray news release distribution method where the only chance of being discovered is if someone in your target media trips over you having done a keyword search? Reaching media by phone, email and street mail is the best way to make a direct connection.
Lots of people get all of these wrong.
You can watch your media success improve dramatically when you treat media people with respect by targeting media carefully. Make sure you offer and can deliver:
1. Galvanizing news, education or entertainment that is designed to interest lots of people in the selected media audience
2. Tangible real value. Help the people you can help the most.
3. Easy access to the information, graphics, technology and the people that the media need to do their job the way you want it done, and by covering the travel costs for the delivery if needed.