Have to tell you that I have yet to see media (prime media or even bloggers we pitch to) cover web seminars to any great extent. But to answer the question properly I had to ascertain existing media coverage for those keywords.
So I did the following search at Google News for “web seminars”.
You can study the results yourself if you do this search. The proof is right before your eyes.
Here what I saw on Page 1 of the results:
• One AP article from US newspaper article talking about a free government web site web seminar on health insurance (hot topic for obvious reasons)
• One NY Times article on strategies for graduates that talks about using web seminars as a tactic for searching for work
• Three news releases posted at free online news release distribution services (not type of media coverage we are looking for)
• Two online magazine event announcements (topical but online only and good luck finding these unless you specifically look for them)
• Two topical online news service announcements (similar highly limited distribution and actual reach to people issues)
While the AP article appears encouraging, the AP cited to the US government on a hot topic.
The others are all media with very little reach or impact
So there is not one author, expert, or company article to be found in the prime media.
So at least based on this analysis of existing media coverage, the chances of seeing a business web seminar getting picked up nearly non-existent in newspapers, radio, TV, news services and news syndicates.
You may see a few pickups in trade magazines, but the possibilities of people in a given target audience are remote given the extreme paucity of bona fide media coverage that is revealed from the Google News results.
So what can you do?
Stay with the known proven tactics that perform well.
To date, media will run (in order of effectiveness and ROI to you)
– problem solving tips article by authors and experts
– local event announcements with significant community engagement
– human interest stories
– book reviews in media that serve the people you are trying to reach the most
Since the client I was working with was seeking targeted publicity that brands her and she sought to see interested people contact her for books, speaking and consultation, the best tactic I could recommend is for her to use the problem solving tips article approach.
It is the only reliable proven way to let people see and experience what she can do for them so that they act by asking for her to do more of the same for them.